1 quantity of vanilla cupcake batter (see below for my version)
75ml coconut cream
4tbsp dessicated coconut plus extra for decorating the tops
100g dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas 4 and place 8 muffin/cupcake cases in to the muffin tin.
- Make up the basic cake batter but before you add the flour beat in the coconut cream for about 20 seconds then add the dessicated coconut along with the flour.
- Place a dollop of mix into each paper case then bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Once the cakes have cooled completely melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over gently simmering water. When the chocolate is completely melted carefully spoon it on top of the cupcakes taking care to not let any drip out over the cake cases (there should be a small lip between the cake and the case.
- Top the chocolate covered cupcake with a sprinkle of coconut then leave to set hard.
Vanilla Cupcake batter adapted from Dan Lepard's excellent book, Short and Sweet. The batter smells amazing while cooking and the mixture makes 8 decent sized cupcakes.
125g caster sugar
125g unsalted butter, very soft
2 tsps vanilla extract
150g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas 4 and place 8 muffin/cupcake cases in to your muffin tin.
- Using an electric mixer beat the sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla extract for around 3 minutes on the highest speed until light and fluffy. (Add the coconut cream and coconut here)
- Next sift in the flour and baking powder and beat for another 30 seconds or so. You will end up with quite a thick batter.
- Put a dollop of the batter into each of the paper cases so that they are about 2/3 full then place the tray in the over for around 20-25 minutes until golden brown and firm.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before decorating with the frosting.