Introduction: Easy Flat Bread
This is a really quick and easy recipe for a flat bread or chapati made with gram flour (besan). This flour is made from chick peas so is also high in protein and gluten free. I had these to accompany a potato curry the other night - but they would be great with any stew, dips or even on their own - they are quite 'moreish'. They really are very easy and only take a few moments to put together. You can substitute the gram flour for plain/all purpose flour if you would prefer and they would work just as well, but I like the interesting 'nutty' taste of the gram flour.
1 cup gram flour (or plain flour/all purpose flour would also work well - either plain or wholemeal)
1/2 cup warm water
1 tbs oil
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
additional optional extras:
1 tsp kalonji (onion) seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
The above recipe makes 4 flat breads - but can easily be multiplied to make more according to what you want.
preparation time: 5 minutes
cooking time: approx 2 minutes per flat bread
- add gram flour and salt to a bowl
- add the warm water and oil gradually and mix to a dough with your hands. You may need a little less or more water - don't worry as you can always add more flour if it gets too sticky.
- divide the dough into equal balls about the size of a golf ball and roll out thinly on a well floured surface (the gram flour is quite sticky so do make sure you have plenty of flour on your rolling pin and surface to prevent sticking)
- fry the flat breads in a hot un oiled pan for about 1 minute a side - they are ready to turn when bubbles appear on the top side of the flat bread.
- keep warm in a clean tea towel as you prepare the others.
- serve warm with dish of your choice - let me know how you get on - Enjoy :)
If you like this recipe you can check out my blog at: http://chipbuttiesandnoodlesoup.blogspot.co.uk/