Introduction: Grill Ignitor Mini-taser

Picture of Grill Ignitor Mini-taser

a cool project for that old broken propane gas grill you have sitting in your backyard, all sad, lonely, and (hopefully) broken.

all you need is the ignitor from a grill, craft wire, electrical tape, and wire cutters or fingernail clippers.

these ignitors are great. they are more powerful than small peizo lighters, easier to ckick but the downside is that for them to shock someone, the spark has to ground itself onto you.i dont know anyone who wants to be stung every time you click one of these, so here is a quick fix.

Step 1: Supplies

Picture of Supplies

scissors, electrial tape, craft wire(more sturdy),nail clippers or wire cutters, and of course, a grill ignitor

Step 2: Wiring Guide

Picture of Wiring Guide

cut a peice of wire about 2.5 times the lenth of the ignitor.

loop the wire down in the small slot like shown, and lopp it to secure it

fold it in half a little farther than the tip of the ignitor.

your going to need to wrap the wire around the body a couple times for it to stay

Step 3: Tape It

Picture of Tape It

bend the wire toward the tip as shown.

experiment! ive found that having about 1/2 an inch makes the brightest, coolest sparks!

i actually got some (blurry) shots of it arcing!

if you spark it near one of those lcd displays with fixed number slots, it will flash the characters up then disappear!

there you have it! a non-painful shocker!

Comments

slipknot rules (author)2009-03-15

dude, these are like nothing shock-wise. try getting shocked by a flyback transformer OWWWW

haha tht would kill!

chip123 (author)2008-10-23

If you dont have an old or broken bbq in your garden, where can you get the ignitors from? Also, try make a camera tazer thing. mine make 360-400v. they hurt :(.

sharlston (author)chip1232009-10-07

get a electric lighter out of the dollar store and rip it apart it should look like a black thing with a wire and a metal disk on the bottom now the little wire just bend it round so its around 0.5cm off the metal tab now press it down you should see the spark

TheDoctorWho (author)2009-03-14

It is good but it doesn't shock very hard

josh (author)2008-12-24

We used to have these in all our desert first-aid kits. Putting 15,000 volts (no amps) through a scorpion sting, according to some, will nutralize the venom by aligning the ions in the venom. We use larger ones for snake bites and such. I can tell you that I've used one on several occasions for this and it really works. the science behind it is a little controversial but I'm a believer.

thepaul93 (author)2008-10-24

i can make a carpet zap as long as 5cm at school, i zap people,

hornbadoing (author)2008-07-18

lol i mean disk

!Andrew_Modder! (author)2007-09-24

lol, i used to shock ppl with only thos lighter pienzo electric ignitors. (once my friend stuck it between hit tooth and shocked it) :-P

skok (author)!Andrew_Modder!2008-07-10

I've been in a few bands over the years (electric guitar playing and some singing) and one thing that still makes me cringe 20 years later are the memories of the 1, or 2 times the bare microphone touched my big, half-bucked front teeth (that I did NOT want for Christmas!). . . Holy F@#ck that (still) hurts!

That wasn't real smart

ya i no :-\ hes dumb :-P

lollerz (author)2007-09-23

don't tase me bro!!!

Derin (author)lollerz2008-03-30

well tase me bro!:)u cant im FAAR away from the nearest guy with this taser

bowakowa (author)lollerz2007-09-25

Funny! and sad. That was something else, huh?

Derin (author)2008-03-30

does it leave marks

ARVash (author)2007-09-24

How does pressing down the button cause electricity to flow, anyone got a scientific wikipedia or something?

A_squared (author)ARVash2007-09-24

There is quartz in side this thing and when you press the button you put that quartz under pressure. This makes the quarts vibrate and give off a current. I Thinks That Is How It Works But I'm Not 100% Sure

cvxdes (author)A_squared2007-12-19

Yep, when you apply current, it excites the atoms, causing vibrations (Which is what they use in Quartz watches), and when you cause vibrations (through pressure), it gives off voltage.

Erik Andersen (author)A_squared2007-09-28

you are right. quartz distorts in an electrical current, and when you distort it it causes an electrical current.

GorillazMiko (author)2007-12-05

ahh, very nice! (favorited)

whiteNnerdy (author)2007-11-22

this works with a long lighter too-but it requires a hammer and a chisel to get it open

joemonkey (author)whiteNnerdy2007-11-23

i have like 4 of those, but all those combined doesnt hurt as much as the grill one.

Kid45 (author)2007-11-20

I did this back in grade 3. my BBQ was broken so i took the igniter to school and shocked my friends :)

chuckr44 (author)2007-09-27

I've been shocked by one of these things on accident. They pack quite a punch. You won't faint or anything, but you will certainly jump.