I created a hooked handle for my toothbrush by heating a polypropylene toothbrush over an electric stove and bending it around a bottle neck. Making your own hooked toothbrush is easy!
Here's what you need:
Step 1: Toothbrush Bending
- turn heating element on high
- prepare an ice bath using a large bowl filled 2/3 with water and fill with ice cubes, set aside
- put on thick work gloves to protect your hands from the heat
when element is hot, slowly rotate toothbrush handle over element
DO NOT TOUCH TOOTHBRUSH TO ELEMENT
- after about 20 seconds the toothbrush handle will become soft and pliable
- wrap handle around mandrel to create desired hook shape, hold in place for 10 seconds
- submerge hooked handle into ice bath and let sit for another 10 seconds
- repeat steps 4-7 to refine the curve if required
Step 2: Further Reading: Types of Plastic
|Polypropylene (PP) toothbrush||Styrene Acrylonitrile (SAN) toothbrush|
Step 3: Further Reading: How NOT To
The boiling method may be good for making bracelets (wide radius curve) but doesn't work so well for making hooked toothbrushes (small radius curve).
Step 4: Final Thoughts
Have you made your own hooked toothbrush? Share your thoughts below, comments with pictures of their version of this project will receive a digital patch and a 3-month Pro Membership to Instructables!