in this instructable i will show you how to bind a book. this is not the most "professional" way to do it, but i learned it that way and it yields very nice results. and you don't need any fancy tools or anything to do it, chances are that you even might have all the needed materials lying around somewhere and you could get started with making your own book straight away.
ever since i learned how to do it, i've made quite a few books, as they make great gifts or are perfect to write your recipes in, draw, as a journal,...
and in the end it's suprisingly fast, you can easily make a book in one afternoon.
Have fun with the bookmaking!
Step 1: Materials
you will need:
- sheets of paper twice the size of the book you want to make, the easiest way is to make A5 sized books out of A4 paper, because A4 paper is easy available, these are for the pages of the book
- cardboard, about 1,5 - 2 mm thick, a bit more than twice the size of the later book size
- a nice, not to thin paper for the cover, this has to be bigger than double the size of the finished book
- another nice paper (this one can be thinner) for the inside of the cover, the same size as the paper for the pages
- a lenght of bookbinding linen tape (i don't know how you call this in english), it has to be 10 cm longer than the spine of the book, at least 4 cm wide, in a color that matches your cover paper
- strong thread (made from linen or cotton), sewing needle
- a set of small vices
- a small, stiff paintbrush
- 2 wooden (or similar material) boards, slightly bigger than the finished book
- cutting mat, x-acto knife, scissors, ruler
- wood glue and wallpaper paste and a disposable cup for mixing the glue
- a used plastic bag
if you are not sure about the amounts of paper or so, read the steps as i will say more on that later.