This project came about quite organically. I started on a completely different path before I ended up with this one. The idea was to make something like a book safe, that looked just like a notebook from the outside, but secretly held your precious cargo on the inside. Additionally, when opened, the notebook could act as an easel, and provide you with an easy way to display your iPad on a tabletop for watching videos or giving presentations.
Step 1: Materials
- One hard cover spiral bound notebook with the pages cut out. (You know they'll be turned into something awesome in their own time!)
- Two layers of foam core - I used one white and one black, but you could just use black (it makes for a nicer frame for the eyes)
- One or two sheets of black paper or thin fabric to cover the insides of the notebook
- A few pieces of adhesive velcro
- Grosgrain or other ribbon, length = long enough to wrap around the iPad and hold it securely inside + 5" to adhere to inside cover
- Spray Adhesive
- Hobby Knife
- Epilog Laser Cutter, if you happen to have one laying around, which I did (not necessary though!)
Check it out before you move forward with the project.