Introduction: Kiev Light Meter,considerate Conversion to Non Special Batterys
inspired by the zenit apk,which has a external power imput, (it rinses batterys). i thought id apply it to my shiney new kiev, however i dont want to do anything nasty to it because its loveley,apart from its battery requirements.
what i used
spair battery compartment cover
2 rubber washers
hot glue gun
battery holder and clip
flash sync plug and socket
file,and rotary tool
iv done aa conversions to numerous other cameras in a much less sympathetic manner.
im no fan of the modern button cell battery, because they last a year if your lucky weather you use them or not, especially when compaired to the old poisonous mercury ones which would last for 5 years or more,(actually have an olympus camera with 5 in it and its still going,_)
Step 1: Remove Battery Cover
Step 2: Identification of + and -
Step 3: New Battery Compartment Cover
so a spair i had from another camera was a bit on the small side, using side cutters to expand the metal whilst pushing it in the appropiate direction with a thumb, carefully because its brass and brass snaps easily.then i made a rougth hole for the socket,then made the size exact with the reamer.(a reamer is a conical drill bit)
Step 4: The Inside Bit
twist wire around the screw, squash rubber washer on,then put heat shrink on the thread
Step 5: The Inside Bit Part 2
put spring inside second washer,put that over the first heat shrink, then secure with more heat shrink.
Step 6: - Contact Connection
solder the wire from the screw to the center back of the socket. then cover with a bit of hot glue,shape it with wet fingers.
the whole thing was a bit too long so i madw the screw head flatter with a disk and file.
and i bent the spring out a bit so it goes around the back of the socket.
Step 7: Connections
attach the wires between the plugs, forgot to take more pics at this stage, from the sync socket the double insulated conductor is the center contact, - in this instance.i used heat shrink here but forgot to have an extra bit threaded on to act as final cover,so i used electrical tape.
Step 8: Test It
all seems ok. made a temporary battery placement solution ha ha.
engraved the relevant info onto the battery cover .and put the original safely away in its case.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.