Instructables

Lamp with vinyl record shelves

Picture of lamp with vinyl record shelves
102_2520.JPG
102_2523.JPG
102_2524.JPG
I have had a boring lamp in my closet for about a year now.  I decided that I could fix this lamp up into a more interesting design.  After some surfing on this site, I found a tutorial for making vinyl record bowls.  "Record Bowls" by fungus amungus:(http://www.instructables.com/id/Vinyl-Fruit-Bowl/

  I decided to try to make these bowls and incorporate them into my old lamp.  I have never posted on this site or altered a lamp before this.  Here is what I did, hopefully someone can find it useful in their creative processes.
 
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1: Tools

Picture of Tools
102_2522.JPG
102_2541.JPG
I used only tools and materials that I already had in my aparment.  I used one shoelace, some electrical tape, one old lamp, two old used records, scissors, a knife, pliers, and a drill. 

Step 2: Melt Records

Picture of Melt Records
102_2524.JPG
after placing one record on a bowl on a cookie plate, and two other records on glass cups on a cookie plate, you heat them individually at about 220 degress for a few minutes and then fold the edges of them.  For more information see the link posted in the introduction

y, my lamp just twisted apart into three sections, I decided to shorten the lamp by one section and put in two vinyl record shelves.  After cutting the wire near the top of the lamp and dissambeling the lamp,  I used a drill to widen the holes in the records until I could screw the record onto the pieces of the lamp.   This isn't a safe or recomended method, but it worked.

Step 3: Assemble the lamp

Picture of Assemble the lamp
102_2529.JPG
102_2530.JPG
The hardest part was to get the wiring to go back through the skinny pole that makes up the body of the lamp, the wire barely fit.  I ended up dropping a shoelace through one side, tying it to the electrical wire, and pulling it  back through the tube to where it needed to be on each section.


I also had a problem with turning three sections into two.  To fix this, I had to use a wrench to remove the inner fitting of one section, and then use the wrench to screw it into the other section.