Step 5: experiment and have fun!

That's it, you're done! Grab your magnet and start experimenting with your new magnetic putty.

You can stretch out a strand and make it follow your magnet, you can polarize your putty to work as a magnet itself, and then there's the classic of placing the magnet directly on the putty and watching it envelop the magnet. There's plenty of fun to be had, check out the video I made with some of the fun you can do.

Some frames have been sped-up to illustrate magnetic properties.
Of course, aside from being magnetic your putty still retains all the properties of the original Silly Putty.

Putty has been known to leave a residue on some surfaces, even more so with the iron oxide powder. Use caution when playing with your magnetic putty.
If you get magnetic putty stuck to fabric you can try placing the magnet on top of the fabric and the putty may work it's way out (wait 24 hours). Alternatively you can apply rubbing alcohol to area and work out the putty, try a concealed test-area first. WD-40 may also work. If all else fails, take the fabric to the dry cleaners and tell them it's a silicone-based stain.

What are you waiting for? Get going and make your own magnetic putty!
Place a picture or video of your version of magnetic putty in the comments below and earn yourself a digital patch and a 3-month Pro Membership to Instructables.com!

Have fun!
<p>This is actually a product that you can buy - it's called Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty, and they also have a magnetic version of it. Just saying... Crazy Aaron have a whole lot of cool Thinking Putty so check it out on Vat 19 or on their website. </p><p>PS: this is not a promotion</p>
<p>I made this project before magnetic putty was commercially available, the way it is now. </p><p>Also, my buy when you can make? :)</p>
Sorry, didn't know that you made it before it was available commercially. Anyway, I do like the idea, and I'd like to try it. Btw is the toner thing easy to buy or do you have to buy it from somewhere online?
<p><a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LEOMJC/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008LEOMJC&linkCode=as2&tag=wwwmichaelsau-20&linkId=IUZHZBB6CRUWJGEU" target="_blank">Here's where I got it from</a> (also in Step 1)</p>
<p>dont be a wimp... i breath asbestos on a daily basis</p>
<p>Tom, seriously, just stop being a jerk.</p>
Actually, it's true.. What doesn't hurt you, makes you stronger.... That's my motto
<p>So a gunshot if it doesn't kill u make you stronger? i don't think so.</p>
now you are changing the situation. I'm talking about chemicals... But I guess it could make you mentally stronger to get shot... I would say to myself (if I survived) &quot;wow, I survived a gun shot&quot; and then be proud of myself... But still in physical pain
But then also if I survived a nuclear blast I would say to myself &quot;I must superman.. or a cockroach &quot; it feels good to be positive
<p>Trololololol xD true</p>
<p>Tom... xD</p>
<p>Wow... Just wow..</p>
<p>Why? There are so many ways NOT to.</p>
<p>I really do love this, but it's just not safe for little kids in my mind not for a whole bunch at a party anyways! I think for an at home project with your kids yes because you can just make it when there in bed and let them play with it the next day! but there is also other ways to make this which are safer! but still thanks for the post it's great!</p>
I actually mostly breathed asbestos when I was younger, I had my lungs tested 2 years ago and my doctor said they were in perfect condition
<p>I'm sorry to be a party pooper but there are some very serious health hazards to be concerned about when handling black oxide of iron! Please check out this health hazard warning before trying this experiment and use a breathing mask if you do plan on doing this for sure!! </p><p>It can even change your eye colour after some people have been exposed!</p><p>Follow this link for more info on the health hazards of using black iron oxide.</p><p><a href="http://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/1036.pdf" rel="nofollow">http://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/1036....</a></p>
<p>My eyes changed from brown to brown&hellip;</p>
<p>You realize the link you sent is for Iron Oxide, which is just plain ole rust, created naturally. Granted this is the same name (contains similar chemical composition), it is also a refined product which is produced artificially for the purpose of being a pigment. </p><p>Still, like any fine particulate, not good to be breathing in without proper respirator/mask etc. </p>
<p>But it's only the powder, right? Say, for ferromagnetic fluid, it's going to be suspended in a bottle of liquid. And with this silly putty, it's mixed in. Plus, why would you ever make repeated contact with the powder in the first place? It has no use by itself. You only need it to make whatever, and beyond that point it's safe. At least that's my hope. I don't want to order a big jar and mix it in only to find that I'm gonna up and die from handling the stupid stuff. :(</p>
<p>I also made two fluorescent colors of putty that glow nicely under black light. I rolled the putty into a ball and set it on top of a plastic container with a powerful cylinder magnet at the top and let it sit for hours until a nice 'bloom' developed. The third one is a ball placed directly on top of a 2&quot; square neodymium magnet.</p>
<p>These look amazing! Mind sharing your process for making them luminescent? It's really cool.</p><p>Thanks for sharing your pictures, enjoy the Pro Membership!</p>
<p>The colors are fluorescent and need a black light to make the glow. I tried using phosphorescent 'glow' powder but with little success. I just add LOTS of fluorescent pigment mixed with a fine gray iron oxide to CLEAR putty from Aaron. I am thinking of doing an Instructable on it. BTW thank you for another 3 months PRO membership. I appreciate it.</p>
<p>Sooooo, little kid friendly? I'd love to show this to my preschooler and kindergartener, but considering the contents, is that just a horrible idea?</p>
I once got some putty stuck on my pants and I washed it and it but it stayed in. Them I use some goo-gone. It it orange stuff you can buy and it is a miracle. If you ever get any goo stuck on something, no matter what the bottle says, USE IT!
<p>Goo-gone is awesome. Also good for erasing permanent marker.</p>
<p>I made it, but with less viscous silly putty. I had to add Dimethecone to allow the silly putty to flow better. Also, I used cast iron filings from my metal lathe.</p>
<p>Ha, I had just watched your YouTube video before seeing this comment!</p><p>I actually tried this project initially using iron from steel wool, since it was already very fine. <a href="http://www.instructables.com/preview/E578HMCGOZIPHLZ/" target="_blank">The results weren't great</a>. I'm glad to see you had much more success.</p><p>I saw your video about kinetic sand and was wondering when you'd tell us your hobby store solution to dimethicone. Watching your silly putty video was revealing, I'd never had thought that RC car shock oil would be the replacement. </p><p>Your channel is very entertaining and I never miss an episode. Stay awesome!<br>(also, for sharing a picture of your magnetic putty here you've got a free Pro Membership)</p>
<p>I mentioned using silicone oil over a year ago, a few comments down</p><p><a href="http://www.instructables.com/id/magnetic-silly-putty/?comments=all#CZOMOAKHKTZMYGK" rel="nofollow">http://www.instructables.com/id/magnetic-silly-put</a><font color="#1155cc"><u>&hellip;</u></font></p><p>and even provided a before and after video about it</p><p><a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK9o-arYvKg" rel="nofollow">DIY Magnetic Putty 'Swallows' 1/2&quot; Cube Magnet in 32.5 Seconds!</a></p><p>Dimethicone is the pure silicone oil that is in RC shock oil and is way cheaper. I bought a half pint of it for under $10 on eBay.</p>
<p>Cheers man, thanks! Because it's a lot less viscous I'm hoping to have success manipulating it with some sequenced electromagnets... Stay tuned! I'll link back to your instructable too. (reach around FTW!)</p>
<p>I'm gonna mix it with some oobleck and see what happens.</p>
<p>While I was Outside this summer (Outside of Alaska, that is) I bought a small tool in a big box home improvement store. It looks like a small plastic blue &quot;thing.&quot; However, one can magnetize or demagnetize screwdrivers, knives, etc. by drawing them several times through one of the two slots. I found it fascinating. (And no, I will not put the magnetic putty that I will surely make soon into the tool just to see - whatever!) Pictures to follow... Thanks for this most interesting project. Very well explained and illustrated!</p>

About This Instructable




Bio: I'm Mike and I make crazy things at Instructables HQ in San Francisco. Follow me and try a few of my projects for yourself!
More by mikeasaurus:Restore old paper cutter How to properly mix and pour concrete Homemade Sausage 
Add instructable to: