There are no instructables on making a HERF gun... until now. I saw one on YouTube and thought to my self "I have to have one" so I made one and here I will show you how.
-= DANGER: this instructable deals with high voltage and microwave radiation, don't attempt unless you know what you are doing, I take no responsibility=-
-=just to clear this up, microwaves alone wont give you cancer but it can aid in it=-
Step 1: Health and safety
Microwaves do not have enough energy to chemically change substances by ionization because they are below the level of non-ionizing radiation. The word "radiation"only means that energy can radiate. It dose not mean radioactive in this case but it can. It has not been shown conclusively that microwaves have enough adverse biological effects at low levels. Some but not all studies suggest that long-term exposure may have a carcinogenic effect. This is separate from the risks associated with very high intensity exposure, which can cause heating and burns like any heat source, and not a unique property of microwaves specifically.During World War II, it was observed that individuals in the radiation path of radar installations experienced clicks and buzzing sounds in response to microwave radiation. This microwave auditory effect was thought to be caused by the microwaves inducing an electric current in the hearing centers of the brain. Research by NASA in the 1970s has shown this to be caused by thermal expansion in parts of the inner ear. When injury from exposure to microwaves occurs, it usually results from dielectric heating induced in the body. Exposure to microwave radiation can produce cataracts by this mechanism, because the microwave heating denatures proteins in the crystalline lens of the eye faster than the lens can be cooled by surrounding structures. The lens and cornea of the eye are especially vulnerable because they contain no blood vessels that can carry away heat. Exposure to heavy doses of microwave radiation (as from an oven that has been tampered with to allow operation even with the door open) can produce heat damage in other tissues as well, up to and including serious burns which may not be immediately evident because of the tendency for microwaves to heat deeper tissues with higher moisture content. NEVER get inside a microwave and close the door, you can't always get out!
The guy holding the neon bulb above the magnetron said this-"The photo above is of a neon filled globe being illuminated by the radiation from a 600 watt microwave magnetron. The magnetron makes a nice hand warmer. The funny fringes in the image are caused by the microwave radiation affecting the digital camera."
1. No, it's not dangerous
2. Because I say it isn't
3. Because I've measured.
4. Because I have the equipment.
5. And the know-how.
6. If you think its dangerous then you're wrong.
7. Go play in the freeway.
Step 2: What you will need
all the stuff should be from the same microwave (almost everything you'll need can be found in a microwave) or the same model.
1. the high voltage transformer
2. the magnetron
3. the capacitor
4. the diode
5. a 3 prong cord
6. a switch (optional, there are switches in microwave but probably not suitable for this)
7. a waveguide
8. a noise filter (optional, I'm only using one cause my microwave had one)
Because the image note feature is currently not working I'm just going to hope you know what the stuff in the pictures are (on this step), on the next steps I will put what would normally be image notes at the bottom of the page.
Step 3: Hook everything together
The microwave im using to make this had a paper in it with schematics of everything so I made one on paint of what we'll need, I'll also include a noise filter if you want to use one. The pins on the filter should be labeled "L" and "N", there should be two of each kind, two for input two for output and a green wire for ground. On the wall socket (in America) the left hole (the larger one) is neutral and the right hole (the smaller one) is live and middle is ground, now that you know this wire the filter. Connect the output to the primary side of the high voltage transformer. There are two secondary windings in the transformer, the small one is called the "heater" and its used for the magnetron heater, these are usually around 3V @ 15A. The larger winding is the high voltage side, it usually has an output of 2kV @ 500mA and will kill you instantly, these are used for producing the microwaves, you will notice theres only one lead wire for this, the other is connected to the iron core. Take the high voltage lead wire and connect it to one side of your capacitor, on the other side connect one of the heater wires, the diode, and a wire to go to the magnetron. the other lead on the diode should be connected to ground as well as the magnetron case and the transformer core.
The first picture is a schematic with both setups I made on paint.
The second picture is the schematic from the microwave oven.
The third picture is the main setup without the magnetron.
The last picture is the main setup with the noise filter.
Step 4: The waveguide
You will need a waveguide to direct the microwaves in one direction instead of them just going everywhere. Microwave ovens have a 4" wave length so the waveguide will have to be 4" at the start and then go up at a 35* angle. The waveguide must be made of metal, the waveguide in the microwave should get you to off at a good start as it has the correct dimensions and mounting holes. If you want you could also attach it to a satellite dish but i dont hate one.
-=the pink insulator at the top of the magnetron is made from beryllium oxide and if crushed and inhaled it can cause an incurable disease in the lungs=-
The first picture shows how waves travel though a waveguide.
The second picture is a magnetron set up on the arm of a satellite dish (not my picture).
The third is the same as the second.
The fourth is something I made in paint.
Step 5: Finshed
In this picture all of the connections are made except the transformer core is not grounded and one of the terminals broke of the transformer so I have to solder that back on, aside from that I just need a waveguide and I'll be done. My parents would freak out if they saw this so I've got to keep it secret and I'll have my uncle watch me play with it so they think I'm being "safe" with it :D my uncle is an engineer, so while they still cant seem to figure out I know what I'm doing they know my uncle dose.
-=Thats not my video=-
If your wondering, the song is chop suey by system of a down.