In this instructable I will be explaining how to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen through the method of electrolysis. Electrolysis is where you run a current through a solution containing ions which in this case are hydrogen and oxygen. 2H2O - 2H2 + O2
the setup cost me about $45 New Zealand to make but i had some things already lying about
This project is potentially dangerous, hydrogen in the presents of oxygen will react violently I take no responsibility for any harm you cause yourself or others
also this is my first proper instructable any comments on how I could improve would be appreciated.
Step 1: Gather the materials
1. two 3/4 inch diameter galvanized steel pipes.
2. two 3/4 inch diameter galvanized steel end caps.
3. two 1/4 inch stainless steel bolts with nuts (nylocks work well as then you only need two)
4. four 1/4 inch stainless steel washers
5. four 1/4 inch o-ring
6. four seals from plastic bottle lids.
7. 1 valve (two optional if you want to collect both gases
8. Teflon tape