the setup cost me about $45 New Zealand to make but i had some things already lying about
This project is potentially dangerous, hydrogen in the presents of oxygen will react violently I take no responsibility for any harm you cause yourself or others
also this is my first proper instructable any comments on how I could improve would be appreciated.
Step 1: Gather the materials
1. two 3/4 inch diameter galvanized steel pipes.
2. two 3/4 inch diameter galvanized steel end caps.
3. two 1/4 inch stainless steel bolts with nuts (nylocks work well as then you only need two)
4. four 1/4 inch stainless steel washers
5. four 1/4 inch o-ring
6. four seals from plastic bottle lids.
7. 1 valve (two optional if you want to collect both gases
8. Teflon tape
Step 3: Preparing the electrodes
put one washer on each bolt followed by the bottle seal and then two o-rings.
Step 4: Preparing the electrodes (continued)
Drill another 1/4 inch hole in the other two bottle seals and push one onto each bolt followed by one washer on each and then a nut and screw down tight.
when screwing down you can wrap wire around the top of the bolt which gives you your connection
make sure that the bolt is vertical in the end cap so it does not touch the sides when put into the pipe.
Step 5: Attaching the end caps to the pipes
Screw on the end caps tightly.