Instructables
Picture of marianette update
This is an update of my former instructable http://www.instructables.com/id/Row-pull-push-bike-la-marianette/


After a year of daily work and more than 1000 Km the hinge was wearing out  making steering unprecise. So I decided to rebuilt the mechanism and try to make it even stronger.

Many people watched the original instructable last year but nobody told me about doing something similar. I hope this one helps somebody to try it. The bicycle is really fun and many interested people ask me about it in the street.

 
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1:

Picture of
The new hinge is built using a wheel hub, a handlebar stem and a front fork.

Step 2:

Picture of

Hub diameters are not standard.

The diameter of the hub should be similar to the diameter of the handlebar stem.

Step 3:

Picture of
DSC00785.JPG
The spokes of the bicycle wheel are dismounted. The hub is kept to be used as a bearing.

Step 4:

Picture of
DSC00789.JPG
The stem clamp was opened using a big screwdriver and pliers.

Of course you would not do that with an aluminum stem!
Aluminum stems have usually a two pieces clamp, this step would not be needed. However, matching the diameter of the hub would be more difficult.

Step 5:

Picture of
DSC00791.JPG
DSC00792.JPG
DSC00793.JPG
Hub into the clamp.
Clamp closed with pliers.
Clamp screw inserted and tightened.

Step 6:

Picture of
The stem is mounted in the bicycle

Step 7:

Picture of
The fork is mounted on the hub.

Step 8:

Picture of
The handlebar is fixed to the fork using another stem.

Step 9:

Picture of
DSC00812.JPG
A pedal is fixed to the fork. I used a crank shortener and a couple of seat clamps  for that.
You may also find a way to fix a spare crank to the fork instead.

Step 10:

Picture of
DSC00798.JPG
I used a satellite clamp and a M8 threaded rod to couple the pedals.

Step 11:

Picture of
The front crank is now fixed with aluminum profiles. The profiles are screwed to the fork using the mudguard hole and a seat clamp fixed to the stem.

Step 12:

Picture of
I changed the elastic ropes by springs.

Finished. Steering is really better. I hope it will work for another year.