I went a little crazy with my version (PUT ALL THE DELCIOUS FOOD IN IT!!), so I've included lots of tips for when you make yours. Sometimes simple really is better, and I think this is a good case of that. :D
Step 1: Ingredients!
So this is what I suggest:
- 1 pound meat of choice - shredded or ground
- 16 oz cheese of choice (I used a mix of cheddar and monterey jack)
- white corn tortillas (I ended up using 16)
- 2 jars of salsa - or one salsa, one tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz can of black beans
- 14.5 oz can of corn
- 14.5 oz can refried beans
- 1 onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons of taco seasoning to season the meat (find my recipe here!)
- green onion, fresh jalapeno, fresh tomato, cilantro, sour cream, etc - for mixing in or serving!
I think enchilada sauce on its own could be really good (use a can of it instead of salsa!) - but make sure you're using a good brand!
Also, I considered using cottage cheese for the cheese in the lasagna - that's what my mom does for her regular lasagna and it's amazing. If you do that, you can mix it with a little cheddar inside and just use plain cheddar on top.
Oh! Next time I'm going to chop up some green onions and mix them into the refried beans, too.