90g dark chocolate
100g unsalted butter
100g self raising flour
15g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
150g light muscovado sugar
150g chocolate covered, soft centred mints
1 quantity of mint choc chip frosting
Makes 12 cupcakes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan oven. Put the paper cases in the muffin tray and fill a large oven proof dish with water and place in the bottom of the oven. The steam that is produced will help the cakes to rise and be lovely and light.
- Put the chocolate, butter and water in a saucepan and melt together over a low heat.
- Sieve together the dry ingredients then stir in the chocolate mixture and eggs until thoroughly combined.
- Stir through the chocolate covered mints then put a dollop of the mixture into each of the paper cases.
- Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes or until when a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating with the frosting.
125g unsalted butter at room temperature
300g sifted icing sugar
couple of drops of peppermint extract
Couple of tbsps milk
50g dark chocolate, chopped (optional)
- With an electric whisk, beat the butter until it is smooth and creamy.
- Bit by bit beat in the icing sugar until it is thoroughly combined.
- Add the peppermint extract and beat in.
- If needed beat in a little milk to make the consistency smoother.
- Stir through the chopped dark chocolate if using. Chill the frosting for at least 20 minutes before using.