to view all the posts i did on this robot, please check my g+ profile,
my original intention was to build a line follower robot, until my wife's household chore caught my attention. from then my focus was on creating a robot similar to roomba, minus the vacuum. :]
the original design was a bit of a bulky wiring, but it worked well, running only on a single 9V battery to power the arduino uno, motor shield, and an ir sensor. then i read through some posts that this was a bad idea so i had to split powers for the arduino and the motor shield, and the mop section also got gave up after bumping several times at high speeds.
the 2nd design had a flaw which i didn't think through. i placed all components on top of a flat plastic plate which meant that there was more surface area in contact with the ground. this meant more force from the motors to move it. failed.
Step 1: Parts list
these are the parts i collected to make this robot:
- arduino uno
- motor shield, or any motor driver (dfrduino motor shield)
- dc motor assembly, or any geared motor kits (i had the tamiya twin geared motors)
- 9v battery, and battery clip
- AAA batteries and holder (total voltage should be compatible for your motor driver, or shield)
- IR sensor
- nuts, bolts, aluminum mounting frames
- solid wires #22 gauge or smaller
- breadboard (small, if possible), for testing, and circuit adjustments.
- main body to hold everything together..i got a plant pot holder from DAISO for 2$
- pliers, soldering wire, soldering iron
- a lot of imagination :]