Mississippi mud pie is one of my favorite desserts. I've taken the traditional version and classed it up a tiny bit and also reduced the sweetness just a tad, because while mud pie is delicious, it is sweet beyond compare. :D My love of mud pie originally comes from my stepmother - she makes an amazing one that my siblings and I all go nuts over during the holidays!
This Mississippi mud pie is a great dessert for a BBQ or other potluck style events, because you can assemble it ahead of time and keep it chilled until you're ready to eat it!
Step 1: What you'll need:
For the crust:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts (chop them and then measure one cup's worth)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
For the filling:
- 2 3.9 oz boxes chocolate pudding mix
- 3 cups cold milk
- 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 16 oz Cool Whip (won't use all of it, but it's better to have more than you need!)
- powdered sugar to sweeten cream cheese (if needed)
- + extra cool whip and pecans/walnuts for topping
You'll also need some parchment paper and a 9x13 baking dish.
I prefer pecans in mine, but walnuts work too! It'll just be a slightly less sweet crust. As for the pudding mix, chocolate fudge flavor is my favorite. You'll use less milk than the pudding actually calls for to make it thicker. :)