To make it from scratch takes hours - obviously you can cheat and use a ready made stock/stock cube but in this instance you would be missing the point. It seems the amount of time and effort put in is equal to the positive, restorative effects of the soup. This is food as medicine and you have to cook with love in your heart - otherwise it won't work.
Due to the length of time this takes it is always useful to have a batch of the stock ready in the freezer so you are always ready in a noodle soup emergency!
preparation time: 20 minutes
cooking time: 3-6 hours
For the stock:1 chicken carcass (leftover from a roast chicken)
2 celery sticks
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp allspice berries
1 tsp black pepper corns
3 bay leaves
1 tbs leaves
1 sprig rosemary
Salt to taste
For the soup:200g cooked noodles - (I used Spaetzle a German egg noodle for this but vermicelli, rice noodles,or egg noodles would all work well)
3 tbs chopped dill
Zest of 1 lemon
chopped mint to garnish (optional)
for the stock:
- Place all stock ingredients in a large pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 3-4 hours on the stove top or in a slow cooker for 6 hours on medium.
- Skim off any 'scum'/fat that floats to the top every now and then.
- When the time is up leave to cool before refrigerating over night (with all the veg and chicken still present)
- The next day before you want to use it bring it to the boil again for 15-20 minutes and then strain through a sieve/colander. Pick
- out any large pieces of meat and add them back to the soup. It is now ready to add the other soup ingredients.....
- Prepare the noodles as per packet instructions.
- Add chopped carrots to the noodles as they are cooking
- When done add to the soup stock and serve garnished with chopped dill, lemon zest and mint (if adding)
If you like this recipe you can check out my blog on http://chipbuttiesandnoodlesoup.blogspot.co.uk/