n00tron needs a home in a museum near you!
Please contact us if you can help: dan at MonkeyLectric dot com
As seen at: Maker Faire 2010, SigGraph 2010, Maker Faire 2011, Maker Faire NYC 2011
Step 1: What is it?
- it is a true 3-dimensional display (also known as a Volumetric display)
- the display volume is spherical, about 550mm in diameter
- the display is created by spinning a bicycle wheel with rows of lights inside it
- the bicycle wheel is spun in 2 axes simultaneously
- n00tron is great for making light art, but it is not possible to make 3D bitmaps.
- n00tron is controlled interactively from a control panel
- n00tron draws colorful patterns using simple parameterized drawing algorithms (also known as Generative Art)
- the control panel has lots of knobs that set the basic parameters of the drawing algorithms
- participants of any age can easily create their own amazing 3D light sculptures!
Read on for more information!
Step 2: The Wheel
Mounted inside the wheel is our MonkeyLectric Video Pro display hardware. We're using standard Video Pro hardware with custom firmware to generate the art. The display hardware has 256 full color LEDs arranged onto 4 sticks.