and it's super easy and quick to prepare.
maybe it is not the original, original new york cheesecake but even my american friends are huge fans!
Step 1: The Ingredients
- 1 pack (200g) of Butterkekse
- 100g butter
- 330g each of cream cheese and quark
- 1 egg
- 180g of sugar
- 1 pack of vanilla sugar or vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
- 1 bowl (200g) of sour cream
- 1 springform tin (26 cm diameter)
- handheld mixer
- baking paper
i am from germany and butterkekse (butter cookies) and quark are easily available. i am not completely sure how you could subsitute them. maybe graham crackers and some sugar instead of the butter cookies and the double amount of cream cheese and no quark.
Step 2: Preparing the Tin
preheat the oven to 180 C.
Step 3: The Crust
- either put them in a freezer bag and crush them with a rolling pin
- or put them in a big enough bowl and crush them with something heavy (like a meat tenderizer) - this is my favored method, see pictures
- or put them in a food processor
melt the butter in a pan or the microwave and mix it with the cookie crumbs.
put the crumb mixture into the prepared tin and push it flat evenly.
Step 4: The Cheese Filling
(you could also use a wire wisk)
pour on top of the cookie crumbs and flatten if necessary.
put the cake into the middle of the preheated oven and bake for 35 min.
Step 5: The Sour Cream Topping
this will not make a big difference on the taste, but the cake will have a nice white top and won't look yellowish.
take the cake out of the oven and leave it to cool completely.
i like to decorate it with a couple of dried flowers. (see picture from the intro)