i've been making them for years and everybody loves them. even meat eaters (like me).
just try them!
Step 1: Ingredients
- a small can (200g) of salted & roasted snack peanuts - the kind you get at a bar with your beer
- 4-6 slices of toast (some toast contains butter, if you want to keep it vegan try to avoid that), slices of white bread or leftover bread rolls will do as well
- a shallot or a small onion
- some fresh parsley
- spices & herbs, depending on your taste: i always put oregano, cumin, pepper, some cinammon and of course paprika. to be more exact the little magic powder from spain: pimenton de la vera, which is awesome smoked paprika powder from spain that adds a nice smokey flavour to all kinds of dishes. try to find it - it's truly amazing, like vegan bacon-powder.
- oil for frying
- maybe some breadcrumbs (see step 3)
Step 2: Prepare the Peanuts & the Toast
put the toast slices into a bowl and soak the in hot water. after 10 minutes, put the toast into a fine mesh sieve to drain the water. with your hands, push as much water out of the slices as you can, you will end up with a not very nice looking, lumpy mass. but that's ok.
Step 3: Finish the Mass
add the soaked toast, don't add all at once, start with 2/3 of the toast. knead everything together. you should end up with a lump of peanut-mass that holds together but isn't to wet or sticky. maybe you have to add more soaked toast, or, if you put a little to much toast (this happened to me) simply add a little breadcrumbs until the mass is right.
at this point, taste the mixture and see if it needs some extra salt.
Step 4: Rollin' Rollin' Rollin...
continue until all the mass is finished up.
Step 5: Side Dishes
i decided to go with rice, a rucola salad and a spice tomato and pepper sauce.
but you could also eat them with salad in a pita bread like falafel or just with fries and ketchup... endless possibilities!
Step 6: Frying Time!
only fry half of the balls at the same time. turn the balls around when they are golden brown on one side. the whole frying should take about 5-7 minutes.
when they are done, put them on a kitchen towel to soak of some of the oil.
once all the balls are fried enjoy them with your side dishes of choice!