Introduction: Plumbing Pipe Coffee Table
we needed a new coffee table as ours was horrible. all ones I could find in shops and online (that i liked) were out of my price range :(
I went through a phase where I liked (and still do like) the "industrial" look-and-feel, esp. when combined with some nice wood !
I decided to build the frame using some general plumbing pipes and a nice piece of wood (oak) for the table top.
Step 1: Collecting the Pieces
I bought most parts pipes and components/fitments from local diy store that (i thought) i would need to build the table frame
all pipes and fitments that i used for the frame are standard 1.5" plumbing pieces that can be purchases at any good diy store apart from the flanges (used for the feet and table top fitment) were not so easy to get hold of in europe as they are not a standard eu fitment. after some research and help from the internet, I managed to get hold of 8 that would fit my pipes (although were not cheap)
all pipes and fitments come threaded as standard which makes the frame very easy to build as you just have to "screw" the pieces into place ... the hard bit was deciding / knowing what parts (types and sizes) are available and what would work (what i needed) for this project
all parts additionally come galvanized (zinc coated) as standard, which is good for such parts for there intended use, but in relation to this project would be problematic as I had planned to paint the frame.... therefore a lot of scrubbing and cleaning is heading my way :)
Step 2: Frame Mockup
starting to create a "loose" mockup for the table frame to see if my idea would actually work
the mockup is about a couple of cm longer and wider than what i had planned, however the components are only "loosely" threaded together, so i'm sure I will loose these cm's when the frame is tightly threaded together ...
Step 3: Cleaning
frame dismantled and ready for cleaning. as these parts are all galvanized (zinc coated) they all have a greasy coat whice needs to be removed otherwise the painting process will be a disaster.
removing the stubborn price / info stickers was harder than cleaning the parts :(
I used some general parts-cleaner to clean the parts followed by a thorough degreasing and then back into a fresh parts-cleaning bath
what a difference a good clean makes !
no signs of grease or any other coating - now good (i hope) for painting
Step 4: Final Assembly
I needed to be sure that all components were tightly threaded together, not only so that the frame would be solid - tight enough to not come undone but not too tight to strip the thread (I added in some loctie for good measure), but also as I had to loose the couple of cm's i had during mockup
I was in a bit of a dilemma, the threads on such components are never perfect (even after the threads have been cleaned and prepped), they are not designed to be perfect ... therefore the components never fit "flushly" together, however I also like the "rough" look of having some thread visible which adds to the "industrial" look-and-feel that I was originally aiming for :)
assembly complete and ready for painting - I will paint the flanges separately as these don't have to be fitted tightly as have to be adjustable for balance / height reasons ....
Step 5: Paint
primed and painted in a high gloss black finish (hammerite from the can)
Step 6: Table Top
instead of using (and possibly damaging) my nice table top, I knocked up a test table top from some scrap wood I had lying around to test some ideas regarding the best way to securely fir the table top to the frame
custom socks - prevent scratching the floor, but also allow it to be easily dragged around (its too heavy to lift) to move the table when required
Step 7: Finished
once a solution for the table top was found, I applied it to the finished wood - looks great (I think) !
2 People Made This Project!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.