I challenge you to not be salivating when you smell how good it is while cooking!
750g potatoes - it's up to you whether you peel them or not, I prefer them with the skins on.
2 medium onions
3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary finely chopped
4 tbsp butter, duck, goose or bacon fat
salt & pepper
- Generously butter a 20-30cm spring form cake tin and preheat the oven to 180C Fan.
- Finely slice the potatoes and onions using either a mandolin, food processor or sharp knife. The slices need to be very fine, approx 2-3mm so please take care when slicing. Keep the onions and potatoes in separate bowls.
- Start with a layer of potatoes on the bottom of your tin, followed by a scattering of onions, rosemary, salt and pepper then finish by dabbing with small blobs of butter.
- Repeat this process until you have used up all your potatoes and onions. I did three layers.
- Finish off with some extra blobs of butter to enhance the crispiness then place in the oven. I started by leaving it for 30 minutes then going back to check. I ended up cooking it for about 80 minutes in total but this may be different depending on your dish, thickness of potato and your oven. You are looking for a skewer or knife to be inserted easy and yummy crispy, golden brown colours throughout. Don't be alarmed that your layer bake has shrunk though, this is a good thing.
- If you like this recipe, please check out my blog. http://eating-properly.blogspot.co.uk/