Pickled vegetables are a great accompaniment to weeknight dinners - very simple and adds loads of flavor! They're especially good on sandwiches, beans and rice, and in tacos. I looooooove pickled vegetables. I'm making some tonight to go on beef tacos.
- 1/2 cup or so of veggies of choice (I like red onion, carrots and jalapenos, but I also added radishes this time!)
- 1 clove garlic, cut into fourths
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- chop up your veggies! slice them thin!
- pour the vinegar and water into a measuring cup, add the salt and sugar
- microwave for 2-3 minutes or until bubbling (or bring the water + vinegar to a boil in a small pan)
- place veggies & garlic in a bowl and pour over the hot liquid
- leave until they come to room temp and then serve or chill in the fridge!
They will get a little soft the longer they sit - they're good for a week, but best eaten within a couple days after they're made. :) Also keep in mind that if you use jalapenos or other hot peppers and don't take out the seeds and membrane, the liquid will get spicier and spicier. Not for the faint of heart. :D
Also: if you don't need them right away, feel free to combine all the ingredients in a mason jar and put it in the fridge overnight - no heating up the liquid is needed.