Step 3: making 10 gallons of gravy
step 1: make 10 gallons of stock
- 15-20 pounds chicken bones and backs
- 5 pounds yellow oneion, peeld and cut into 16ths
- 3 pounds carrots, scrubbed not peeld and cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1 head celery, washed and cut into large pieces
- handful of fresh thyme, half bunch of parsley, large pinch of black pepper and 2-3 bayleaves
toss bones and vegtables with vegetable oil and roast in a hot 450 degree oven until rich
dark brown color. place in a stock pot and cover with cold water. deglaze pan with white
wine, bring to boil then lower heat to simmer for 1.5 hours, skimming as you go. strain
stock, chill and reserve for gravy.
step 2: makin gravy
- 2.5 pounds butter
- 2.5 pounds flour
melt butter and add the flour, stirring constantly, until smooth. cook, watching like a
hawk until the mixture is aromatic and colored to your desire.
add cold stock to hot roux to make a smooth paste.
stir until smooth then add the rest of the stock to the pan. roux
does not work until the mixture comes to boil.
bring to a boil and lower to a simmer. add giblets as desired.
simmer for 10-15 minutes and season to taste. seasonings can
be added after the gravy is loaded in the fountain