some time ago i made myself a protective laptop bag since i didn't want to spend money on something that seemed not too difficult to make. it turned out quite nice (i've included pictures at the last step), so a friend asked me if i could make her one, too.
so here is how.
this bag will fit perfectly tight around your laptop and with the thick, furry inside fabric and the sturdy outside fabric will provide nice protection from most things that will normally happen to a portable computer - if you don't start tossing it against a wall it will work fine.
my and my friend both have mac books, but i'm sure that this method will work well for any laptop that is a bit rounded at the edges and is not too thick when closed.
Step 1: materials needed
all the amounts of needed stuff are for a 13-inch macbook, for a different sized laptop you may need more or less!
- a piece of sturdy fabric for the outside, aprox. 60 x 50 cm for a 13 inch laptop, non-stretch cotton or similar
- a piece of thick, soft fabric for the inside, aprox. 50 x 35 cm, i used some sort of teddy fabric
- rest of a non-stretch fabric in matching color
- zipper, 60 cm long for a 13 inch laptop, longer or shorter if your laptop is bigger or smaller
- narrow double fold bias tape, around 3 m, around 5-6 mm wide when folded
- shears, pins, measuring tape, thread, ruler
- sewing machine