I'm making a ton of sloppy joes today, so the ingredients list I give here will feed loads of folks. Scale back as needed. :D
(and can I just add that it is super hard to make sloppy joes look nice.)
Step 1: Ingredients
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups of ketchup
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped (green gives the most authentic grandma taste, but I used red cause it's what I had on hand!)
- 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 cup water
Step 2: Cook the Ground Beef and Veggies Together
You will need to drain the fat as you go - I'm using 80/20 beef and I got nearly a full mason jar of fat out of it. Draining off the liquid will help with cooking, too!
Step 3: Add Everything Else and Simmer
Add 1/2 cup of water, and stir again.
Turn the heat down to medium-low and let it simmer for at least a half hour, covered but with the lid cracked. You will want to stir this quite often - there's not enough liquid to keep it from burning to the bottom of the pan if you leave it, and the sugar only makes it worse!