Cake Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes)
100g dark muscovado sugar
Pinch of salt
175g self-raising flour
4 tsp ground ginger
175g golden syrup or agave
1 tbsp ginger wine
2 free-range eggs, beaten
Walnut-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
150g candied/crystalised ginger, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 160C and grease and place the paper cases in the cupcake/muffin tin. Cream together the butter and sugar with a pinch of salt until fluffy and the colour of milky coffee.
- Pour in the syrup and ginger wine and mix to combine.
- Beat in the eggs then gradually sift in the flour and ground ginger. Finally, stir in the fresh and candied ginger then spoon into the prepared paper cases.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin before frosting.
- They may sink back down a little on cooling but don't worry about this. They'll still be delicious.
- Decorate with the ginger cream cheese and some crystalised or stem ginger slivers.
200g cream cheese
600g icing sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp ginger wine (use milk or ginger cordial if you don't want the alcohol or miss it out completely and have a thicker icing)
- Make sure the cheese and butter are at room temperature then beat together for a couple of minutes using and electric whisk. You want the mixture to be light and fluffy.
- Little by little sift in the icing sugar and ground ginger beating carefully after each addition. Take care with this stage to not go too fast otherwise your kitchen will be covered in clouds of icing sugar.
- Finally beat in the ginger wine, you may not need all of it but adjust until you have your desired consistency.
- This made more than enough icing for a batch of the ginger cupcakes with plenty left over for another project.