But because I've made it so often, I thought it might be time to mix it up.
ENTER: STUFFIN' MUFFINS
I'm mostly making these so I can keep talking about stuffing muffins.
This recipe makes one 9x13 pan of stuffing or 24 stuffin' muffins.
Step 1: Ingredients
- a loaf of bread (around a pound - I'm using sour batard because it is DELICIOUS)
- an onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced finely
- 3-4 stalks of celery (to equal the amount of carrot), diced finely
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken stock (this is my favorite kind)
- 4 tablespoons of salted butter
- a few pinches of poultry seasoning
- fresh sage and parsley, chopped (optional - but adding a couple tablespoons of each adds nice color and flavor!)
You'll want to have a couple muffin tins, a baking rack and some cooking spray. Oh, and preheat your oven to 350 F!
Step 2: Prep Work
If you're on top of things, you can slice the bread into 1 inch thick or less slices and leave it out on the counter overnight. If you're like me and always wing everything, just pop the sliced bread into a 250 F oven on top of a baking rack on a sheet pan. It will take 15-20 minutes to dry it out, so you can chop and saute your veggies while you wait.
Once the bread is dry, cut it into small pieces and place it into a large bowl.
I saute the vegetables in four tablespoons of butter until soft. Add in the poultry seasoning and herbs if using. :) Feel free to add pepper at this point too - but wait to add salt until the chicken stock gets added.
Once the veggies are soft, pour them on top of the bread.
Step 3: Mix and Fill the Muffin Tins
Spray your muffin tins with cooking spray and spoon the mixture in. Pack the stuffing down into the tins. :)
Step 4: Baking!
Let the stuffin' muffins cool for 5-10 minutes and then flip the whole pan over onto a serving platter! Enjoy. :D