A lovely moist spiced loaf made with bananas, sweet potato and hazelnuts. Sort of like banana bread but with added goodies! This is great for breakfast and also for an afternoon snack. Another way of using up over ripe bananas.
preparation time: 15-45 minutes (depending on whether you are cooking the sweet potato first)
cooking time: 30-40 minutes
2 medium sweet potatoes (leftover cooked sweet potato would be great here but I cooked from fresh for this recipe)
2 over ripe bananas
1/4 cup sunflower/vegetable oil
1/2 cup whole hazelnuts
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
11/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice (pimento)
- preheat oven to 190C and grease a loaf tin
- if you are cooking the sweet potato, wash and either bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or in the microwave for 5-10 minutes until soft.
- when cool enough to handle scoop out sweet potato, mash and leave to cool for about 5-10 minutes.
- when the the potato is cool add to a bowl with the bananas, sugar, oil, eggs and mix together with a wooden spoon or an electric whisk for a few minutes until well combined
- sift in the flour, baking powder and soda, and spices and mix briefly until combined
- stir in the hazelnuts and then pour mixture into the prepared tin
bake for 30-40 minutes - the bread is cooked when a skewer comes out clean.
leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes before leaving on a rack to cool.