today I'm going to show you how to make (in my opinion) the best ignition coil driver ever! it doesn't need any special electronic parts, it doesn't need a special power supply like 12 volts 4 amps, and it works with the push of a button(moddable)! This is going to be entered into the halloween contest. you can make a miniature electric chair for barbie girl or Lego man! please rate high and leave lots of comments!
Step 1: Parts you'll need
1) An ignition coil from a car.
2) Some kind of momentary switch rated at least 110 volts, .1 amps. I got mine from a microwave oven.
3) A disposable camera any one that puts out 300 volts will work.
4) A 1 uf 2000 volt capacitor from a microwave oven.
5) some wires with spade connectors also from the microwave oven.
6) Optional: An SPST rocker switch, I got mine from an old computer power supply.
7) A 2AA battery holder from radio shack.
8) A battery clip to fit your holder(no need if yours comes with wires).
See? no special parts! ;-)
Step 2: How to put them together
put the rocker switch in series with the batteries, connect the batteries and switch to the camera charger, put the capacitor across the output of the camera charger, add the momentary switch in series with the charger, and connect the low voltage terminals of the ignition coil to the capacitor/camera circuit.
Step 3: Play with it!
turn on the rocker switch, wait for the thing to charge up(less than a second with mine), press the momentary switch, and *POP* there goes a 45000 volt spark! repeat as necessary to be entertaining. this spark is hot enough to punch tiny holes in paper, ignite fuel-air mixtures, and blacken the kind of receipt paper that is heat sensitive. it can also shock you silly, so don't touch the high voltage terminal or short your finger across the low voltage terminals and push the button.