Introduction: Upside Down Fruit Cake in a Sandwich Maker
Cake in a sandwich maker? Yes,you read it right!
I have always wondered what could i do if i don't own an oven. until someone referred me a sandwich maker cake technique so I thought, why not give it a try?
INGREDIENTS for the cake ( makes 4 big size triangles)
1/4 cup Oil
1/4 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Plain flour
1/2 tablespoonful Baking powder
1/8 cup milk or water(more or less)
vanilla extract ( as required)
for the topping
2 table spoons sugar ( brown or white)
1/2 tablespoon butter
sliced fresh/frozen fruits ( a handfull
1. In a large bowl, combine the oil and sugar together and beat/mix until creamy.
2. Add the egg and continue mixing; then add the essence (optional) Mix thoroughly.
3. Gradually sift in the flour& baking powder bit by bit. mix
4. Add the milk/water , bit by bit,and continue mixing until you get a light consistency, with no lumps.
5 Now, prepare the sandwich maker by brushing the insides with oil. Close it and preheat for 3 minutes ( or less).
6. Add the caramelized sugar. Add the fruits on top. Then scoop in the cake batter into each of the four wells of the sandwich maker.
Tip: if you want a cake with the shape of toast bread, then fill the sandwich maker to the square mark, but for a smaller triangular cake, fill only the smaller triangular wells.
7. Close the lid and leave for about 3 minutes ( or less) or until lightly browned on fruit side. turn over and repeat.
Tip: To check if cake is cooked, simply dip a toothpick into the cakes;if the toothpick comes out clean and dry, you know the cake is ready, if not, you'll have to leave it for an extra minute or until well done.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.