I use zucchini and squash as two of the layers in this vegetable lasagna, but I still use lasagna noodles to help soak up some of the extra moisture and add more stability. :D
Step 1: Ingredients
- tomato sauce or canned tomatoes for making sauce - at least 4-6 cups
- one box no boil lasagna noodles
- one zucchini
- one yellow squash
- one jalapeno (or bell pepper!)
- 1/2 an onion
- 15 oz container ricotta cheese
- 16 oz mozzarella
- 1/2-1 cup parmesan
- Italian seasoning
- crushed red pepper
- one 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- couple tablespoons tomato paste
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 pound ground beef or Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- pinch of oregano
- pinch of basil
You don't have to stick with the veggies I used, either! You can add mushrooms, greens, more onions, etc.
Also, I really really recommend the no boil lasagna noodles. I was at one point a total snob about it and would never buy them, but they're actually pretty great! I like that it's less work for me while assembling, and they stay nice and firm while cooking, too. :D
Step 2: Prep the Veg and Make the Sauce
To make the sauce, cook diced onion in olive oil til soft, and then add the ground beef, garlic, tomato paste and seasonings. Stir until really fragrant and then meat starts to brown and break up, and then add in the crushed tomatoes. Pour some water into the tomato can and swish it around and then pour that into the pot. Stir well and let simmer while the veg continue to lose moisture. It needs only about 10 minutes to simmer, really.
Step 3: Cheese Prep
Shred your mozzarella or cut into small slices.
Step 4: Layering!
- spoonful of sauce on the bottom of the pan
- lasagna noodles
- 1/2 the ricotta cheese
- 1/2 the sauteed vegetables
- mozzarella cheese
- sauce to cover
Step 5: Baking!
Try not to eat it all at once. The boy and I have eaten 1/2 of it, and it's only been a day since I made it. :D