Introduction: Getting Started With the HAAS Mill
Allowed Materials for the HAAS Mill
- Carbon fiber and composites
If at Pier 9, see Shop Staff first before using these materials:
- All other materials
If you are working from another studio or workshop, refer to the tool's instruction manual to see if your desired material is suitable for tool use.
Our most important safety callouts are highlighted in yellow throughout this course.
The Haas VF2SS CNC mill is a large, powerful mill with the following specifications:
- 30 horsepower spindle
- 12,000 RPM maximum spindle speed
- Traverse (rapid relocation) speed up to 1,400 inches per minute
- On Pier 9 you are required to operate the mill at 5% rapid.
- All non-cutting moves and tool changes will happen at 5% of the maximum speed so that you have time to react if something goes wrong.
- A reduced rapid speed will not change the cutting speed.
- Work envelope of 30” x 16” x 24” (X, Y & Z)
- Tool carousel can hold up to 24 tools
Required for Use
Before you start your work, make sure you have the following materials:
- An .nc file from your completed CAM file
- A thumb drive to copy the .nc file to the mill
- Setup Sheets from your CAM software
- A copy of this Quick Start Guide
Steps for Successful Use
To make a part, you need to complete each step in order.
- Start up the mill.
- Insert custom tools into the holders.
- Inspect the Pocket Tool Table and Carousel.
- Install tools into the machine.
- Set the tool offsets.
- Set the Work Coordinate System.
- Load the program.
- Run the program.
- Clean up.
Share a photo of your finished project with the class!
Nice work! You've completed the class project