Introduction: Operating the Drill Press
The following outlines basic operation and etiquette for using the drill press.
Area and Machine Preparation
- Clean and clear the table.
- Clamp your material to the table.
- Always put a piece of sacrificial wood under your workpiece to avoid drilling into the table.
- Insert the drill bit.
- Remove the chuck key immediately.
- Adjust the table height.
- Adjust the RPM.
Drilling the Hole
- Start the drill.
- Slowly pull the quill handle until the bit contacts the material.
- Apply more pressure as needed.
- Holes in deep material may become clogged with sawdust.
- Pull the bit out of hole periodically to help clear out chips.
- Turn off the drill press.
- Remove and return the bit.
- Remove and return the clamps.
- Brush off the table and clean up the area.
- Put scraps in the trash and reusable pieces in the storage bin in the woodshop.
Print Out This Guide
This course is available as a PDF that is attached to this step. Happy Drilling!
Share a photo of your finished project with the class!
Nice work! You've completed the class project