Introduction: Operating the MIG Welder
The following outlines basic operation and etiquette when using the MIG welder.
Area and Machine Preparation
- Clean and clear the table.
- Prepare your workpiece.
- Grind all coatings from the metal.
- Use the fume extractor when grinding.
- Adjust the welding screens to protect people in the shop from flash.
- Remove all flammable and combustible materials from the area.
- If working from Pier 9, cover the exposed parts of the table with the aluminum covers to prevent slag from damaging the table.
- Attach the ground clamp to the workpiece.
- Slowly open the gas bottle fully.
- Turn the machine on.
- Set the voltage and wire feed according to the chart.
Operating the Machine
- Bring the torch to approximately 1/4” from the surface to be welded.
- Hold the torch at the correct angle.
- Pull the trigger to begin the weld.
- Pull or push the torch along the seam where the two pieces will be welded.
- Release the trigger.
- Turn the wire feed and voltage down to the minimum setting.
- Close the tank valve completely.
- Press the trigger to release any gas.
- Point the torch away from anything grounded.
- Turn off the welder.
- Clean the tip of the torch of welding debris.
- Loosely coil the cables and hang them from the welder.
- Put your materials away and put the machine back in its storage location
Print Out This Guide
This course is available as a PDF that is attached to this step. Enjoy the MIG welder safely!
Share a photo of your finished project with the class!
Nice work! You've completed the class project