Introduction: Operating the Metal Drill Press
The following outlines basic operation and etiquette for using the metal drill press.
Area and Machine Prepartion
- Clean and clear the table.
- Clamp your material in a vise, and clamp the vise to the table whenever possible.
- If clamping to the table, use a sacrificial board under the workpiece to keep from hitting the table.
- Insert the drill bit.
- Remove the chuck key immediately.
- Adjust the table height.
- Adjust the RPM.
- Get a bottle of cutting fluid designed for use with your material.
Drilling the Hole
- Start the drill.
- Slowly pull the quill handle until the bit contacts the material.
- Apply more pressure as needed. When drilling metal, apply a small amount of cutting fluid to the bit with the brush.
- Holes in deep material may become clogged with chips. Pull the bit out of the hole periodically to help to clear out chips.
- Turn off the drill press by pushing the E-stop.
- Remove and return the bit.
- Return the coolant & clamps.
- Brush off the table and clean up the area.
- Recycle scraps and put reusable pieces in the storage bin in the metal shop.
Print Out This Guide
This course is available as a PDF that is attached to this step. Enjoy the drill press safely!
Share a photo of your finished project with the class!
Nice work! You've completed the class project