Introduction: Operating the Planer
The following outlines basic operation and etiquette when squaring hardwood on the planer.
Area and Machine Preparation
- Clean and clear the table.
- Make sure there is sufficient room behind the outfeed table for your workpiece.
- Measure the thickness of the workpiece in multiple places.
- Using a digital caliper is easy and gives the answer in decimal inches.
- Turn on the main power, and check the front and rear e-stop.
- Turn on the dust collection.
- Set the table height.
- Press stop.
- Enter the thickest dimension you measured.
Making the Cut
- Press the blade start button and wait for the planer to come up to speed and table to move.
- Slide the board into the machine and support the end if needed.
- Do not push or pull the board once the power feed has taken over.
- Go to the outfeed side (or have a partner help) and support the board as it exits.
- Readjust the table height and take another pass if needed.
- Maximum depth of cut is 0.06" (about 1/16").
- Brush off the table.
- Clean up the area.
- Turn off the dust collector if it's not in use.
- Put scraps in the trash and reusable pieces in the storage rack.
Print Out This Guide
This course is available as a PDF that is attached to this step. Happy Planing!
Share a photo of your finished project with the class!
Nice work! You've completed the class project