Introduction: Operating the Sanders
The following outlines basic operation and etiquette when sanding and shaping parts.
Area and Machine Preparation
- Clean and clear the table.
- Make sure there is sufficient room around the tool for your workpiece.
- Adjust the table if needed.
- Unlock the table.
- Rotate the handle to tilt the table.
- Lock the table.
- Return the table to 90 degrees after use.
- If using the spindle sander, change the drum if needed.
- Start the dust collector.
Using the Sanders
- Turn on the power and wait for the sander to come up to speed.
- Slowly push the material into the sandpaper.
- Stay in control of the material and use both hands.
- The material must touch the table at all times.
- Keep the material flat on the table if possible.
- Keep at least one point of contact with the table at all times.
- Only use the portion of the disc moving down towards the table. Do not move the guards.
- Turn off the sander. Stay with the sander until it stops rotating.
- Wait for the sander to stop moving.
- Brush off the table and clean up the area.
- Put scraps in the trash and reusable pieces in the storage bin in the wood shop.
Print Out This Guide
This course is available as a PDF that is attached to this step. Happy Sanding!
Share a photo of your finished project with the class!
Nice work! You've completed the class project