Introduction: Operating the Tablesaw
Area and Machine Preparation
- Clean and clear the table.
- Make sure there is sufficient room around the saw for your workpiece.
- Have a push stick ready and within easy reach.
- Adjust the blade height.
- Adjust the fence width.
- Don’t use the fence if crosscutting.
- Turn on the dust collector.
- Turn on the main power.
- Wait for solid green lights on the control panel.
- Make sure nobody is behind you, in the case of kickback.
Making the Cut
- Pull the red paddle to turn on the saw.
- Wait for the blade to come up to speed.
- Keep a straight edge of the material tight against the fence at all times.
- Slowly push the material into the blade.
- Experience will help you determine the correct speed for cutting your material, depending on thickness, blade type and other variables.
- Keep at least one hand or a push stick on the material at all times; never completely let go.
- Stay in control of the material until it is past the back of the blade.
- Push the red paddle to turn off the blade, and wait for it to stop moving.
- Double check that the blade is not moving.
- Turn off the main power switch on the control panel.
- Brush off the table and clean up the area.
- Put scraps in the trash and reusable pieces in the storage bin in the wood shop.
Print Out This Guide
This course is available as a PDF that is attached to this step. Happy cutting!
Share a photo of your finished project with the class!
Nice work! You've completed the class project