Introduction: Preparing the Epilog for Cutting
CHECK THE BED FOR POTENTIAL FIRE SOURCES
- Use the power switch to turn on the machine.
- Open the lid.
- Look through the honeycomb.
- If there are more than a few pieces of paper or combustibles under the bed, it will need to be cleaned.
- Press the down arrow to lower the bed.
- The button is located on the left side, towards the front, inside the machine.
- Flip up the three ruler guides.
- Remove the honeycomb.
- Take care to not hit the laser optics.
- Use a vacuum to clean the lower tray.
- Reinstall the honeycomb.
- The extended aluminum sides go down.
- Flip down the ruler guides.
Load the Material
- Open the door.
- Check the tray and ruler guides before placing your material on the bed.
- The ruler guides should be flipped down flat, on top of the tray.
- Place your material flat on the honeycomb, taking care to not hit the optics.
- If using weights to hold down warped material, make sure the laser will not hit them.
Focus the Laser
The laser must be manually focused before each job.
Never use the autofocus option.
- Press X/Y OFF.
- Press GO (to confirm).
- Gently move the gantry & optics until the red dot is
pointed directly at your material.
- If your material is warped, focus it at the average warped point of your material.
- Place the focus gauge on the pins.
- Use the up/down arrows to adjust the table height until you touch the material with the focus gauge.
- Place the focus gauge back on the front of the laser.
- Press RESET to exit X/Y OFF mode.
If you use the same material, and do not move the bed, you can continue to use the laser without refocusing.
Share a photo of your finished project with the class!
Nice work! You've completed the class project