Introduction: Rip Cutting
Rip cutting means cutting the same direction as the wood grain.
Adjusting the Blade Height
The gaps between the teeth (gullets) should be at the top of the wood being cut; this allows sawdust to escape. Two teeth should be above the workpiece.
- Loosen the center lock knob.
- Turn the handwheel to adjust the blade.
- Snug the lock knob.
Adjusting the Fence
Always use the fence for rip cuts.
- Lift the handle to unlock the fence.
- Slide the fence along the front rail.
- Push the handle down to lock.
Using a Push Stick
A push stick must be used whenever your fingers are near the blade. Fingers should never be in the red area around the blade.
Tips to Keep Your Fingers Away From the Blade
- Keep your left thumb hooked on the front of the fence rail.
- Keep your right pinky hooked on the fence.
Share a photo of your finished project with the class!
Nice work! You've completed the class project