• Date JoinedMar 17, 2009
  • Total Views93,025
  • Featured %50%
  • Best Answers %12%


CrLz (author) 11 months ago
I'm using my Orangeboard as a journal space and bulletin board. Here are some simple ideas, things I've made and initial project work.

Most of these posts I don't prioritize to write up for a full-fledged ible. Some I may post after further refinement.

Feel free to comment, etc. I'm happy to discuss more anything here. Maybe I'll write up something that seems very useful to others.
CrLz (author) 9 days ago
Laser cut and engraved thaumatrope for local student STEM outreach. Fabricated at Firelight Kauai.
Thaumatrope (5).jpg
CrLz (author) 9 days ago
Art work " beneath the Cover"
CrLz (author) 11 months ago
A spring-powered catapult we made for golf & tennis balls.  Bought the springs (20 lb pull strength each). All the other supplies were leftovers. Cup is top from an old spray paint can. It has two "rings" essentially, one good for golf balls and one good for tennis balls.

Performance was... so-so- it is really at a balance between distance and safety. This is for my young kids to play with, so staying below serious injury threshold is important. Can get about 40-feet distance with a golf ball, which is fine for the kids, but wimpy for dad. An interesting design dilemma... ;)
CrLz (author) 11 months ago
Made a geodesic dome from paper tubes. Kids rolled full newspaper sheets into tubes and we attached them with pipe cleaners at the joints.

Worked pretty good for a light tent structure.  Need a door/arch entrance for better egress.  Recycled nicely when done!
CrLz (author) 11 months ago
Necklace I found + embellished for my niece. I found the shell strung on the hand braided cord. Beautiful work. The shell is a 3-inch opihi, probably someone's food, would have been a good sized find.

I added the wooden beads and the bead-clasp. Finished the clasp using pink yarn I waxed.  Was hoping for a little more color, but maybe the simple nature is better emphasized with natural tones.
girls necklace.jpg
CrLz (author) 11 months ago
A necklace I assembled for my nephew. Just a  Hei matau on a leather cord.

Sliding knots were easy to use as a clasp-mechanism. The hook is bone and Koa wood, nice as a Hawaiian gift.
boys necklace.jpg
CrLz (author) 1 year ago
Made some desk sculptures from old golf balls. These balls are from a local course, where they fall into the ocean. The surf returns the balls to the shore at this pocket, where the case gets worn smooth.

Sculptures are prototypes for another project, but pretty cool for paperweights. Used double-tube epoxy (PVC plastic adhesive) for connection - rock solid with the tooth left on the balls and the PVC epoxy.
desk tetraheadron.jpg
CrLz (author) 1 year ago
Upcycled vinyl bag > a hanging bag for delicate clothes. In this case, a hand-knit sweater is stored, and bag is hung up, so the shoulders of the knit don't get stretched.

The bag is just something left over from a Halloween party, but works great to help keep my sweater in good shape and organized.  I save vinyl bags from sheets, etc. also.
hanging bags.jpg
CrLz (author) 1 year ago
Orchard was really productive over winter. Here's a photo of a typical picking of oranges and starfruit (about 1/2 a week's total).

We really enjoyed the kumquat tree, once a friend gave us an easy marmalade recipe.
winter fruit.jpg
CrLz (author) 1 year ago
Made my own Dark Side of the Moon tshirt, using fabric paint. Combination of stencil and freehand.
dark side tshirt2.jpg
CrLz (author) 1 year ago
Been trapping feral pig that are coming into my orchard. Caught 12 so far this (fruiting) season.

This trap is a pen trap that catches the hogs without hurting them. Unlucky #4 shown here...
pig trapped.jpg
CrLz (author) 1 year ago
Made model hands from plaster for the kids to paint.

Pretty easy, just used a latex glove as a mold, poring plaster into and tying shut like a water balloon.

The next day I smoothed with a rasp and lightly sanded to smooth. I also cut the wrist and back flat to allow standing or resting flat.
plaster hand molds.jpg
CrLz (author) 1 year ago
Started cutting ironwood (Casuarina equisetifolia) with my new radial arm.

Really grabby- really wanted to ind up in the blade. Suspect that a higher tooth count is in order.

Samples have a nice density and clean cut. Letting them dry in air while remainder of my stock starts curing.
cutting ironwood.jpg
CrLz (author) 1 year ago
Couple ukuleles I made for the kids.

One has a banjo-like resonator: the drum head from an old tambourine. The second is sort of a Dobro: the resonator is a holiday cookie tin.

Not really tuned well, but fun to pick at.