With Instructables you can share what you make with the world, and tap into an ever-growing community of creative experts.
Tell us about yourself!
I took my advice and looked it up--the internet is wonderful that way. It seems my memory is faulty or the information has changed since I last checked. It is 10ma of AC that is the "let-go threshold" (can't let go) for a 150 lb (68 kg) human. The skin is where the most impedance is (I erroneously said resistance before) the the impedance of the skin varies and can be lowered to almost nothing under the conditions I previously mentioned. Domestic power supply, 120 or 240VAC, 50 or 60 Hz through the chest for a fraction of a second can cause currents of as low as 30ma, and can cause ventricular fibrillation (heart attack). More than 200ma causes the heart to contract (lock up), no fibrillation, 300-500ma DC.So, .5 amps DC can kill but if anything lowers the impedance of your skin it takes a lot less voltage to cause that .3 to .5 amps.
WanderingAuthor is correct about the 12V car battery. 60 milliamps is the magic number. The human body's resistance can be as low as approximately 200 ohms if they are tired, sweaty, ill, and/or several other things. That's 60ma at 12V. A long time ago the U.S. Navy considered anything above 30V as high voltage because it was possibly lethal. Before I joined the Navy in 1970 the official voltage had changed to ANY voltage. I know of a CPO that was electrocuted while installing a stereo in his car, by 12VDC! This info was in an official Navy message. Just because it only zapped you and you survived does not mean it's not deadly. Also AC is more dangerous than DC because DC will stop your heart while AC will cause it to fibrillate (vibrate instead of beat). It's easier for someone to start a stopped heart than to get a fibrillating heart to beat correctly. 120VAC is more dangerous than 400VAC because 120 will cause you muscles to contract and keep them that way, if it's your hand (palm or inside part of fingers) it will lock your hand onto the wire or whatever (if it is small enough to grip). 400 volts will simply knock you across the room.If you're messing with electricity you should be smart enough to look up the correct information! You even have the internet to make it easier. I had to learn this from instructors and books.So, please quit spouting BS! It's dangerous to the people that believe you.
Super recycled benchtop power supply
You will find very sailors that will agree with your red light/night vision analysis. We could see just fine in the red light. And when going into a room rigged for black (control room of submarine at night) we could still see if we entered from a room rigged for red, if we had been in the room with red light long enough for our eyes to adjust.
Hybrid solar panel (photovoltaic and thermal)
Anti-Gravity Tree Stand
Multi-function Walking Stick III - Torch Bearer
Multi-Function Walking Stick - Converts to a Chair
Simple Metalworking Techniques and Making a Steel Butterfly
An Improved Raised Bed Garden
Stackable Ambient RGB LED Cube Lights
Join 2 million + to receive instant DIY inspiration in your inbox.
Download our apps!
© 2016 Autodesk, Inc.