With Instructables you can share what you make with the world, and tap into an ever-growing community of creative experts.
Tell us about yourself!
Thanks for your concern, I appreciate that ;-)I just googled 'are glow sticks safe?' and it states it's not dangerous, just mildly toxic (as in, it will cause a burning sensation of the skin on some people and would have the same feeling in the mouth and stomach if swallowed). I would only put it in the hair, so as long as it doesn't touch the skin in any way, I think it would be okay, but one must always use caution in anything you try (always good to be extra cautious). Here's what one website showed, thanks again: Are Glow Products Safe? Items that glow have delighted children and adults for years. The question surrounding the safety of the liquid inside glowing sticks, bracelets, and other glow novelties often arises among concerned parents. People aren't just worried about their children either. The Animal Poison Control Center of the ASCPA receives masses of similar calls from concerned pet owners each year. With this overwhelming concern for public safety, it's a surprise that glow products are such big sellers. Glowing novelty products, such as bracelets and sticks, are safer than the common household cleaners you find in a typical home. Your young child is far more likely to be seriously hurt from choking on a small glow toy than by splashing herself with the liquid contained inside. What Creates the Glow? The liquid inside of some glow products is a chemical called dibutyl phthalate. Glow products that don't use dibutyl phthalate use a small glass ampoule that contains a mixture of hydrogen peroxide dissolved in phthalic ester. Surrounding the glass ampoule is another chemical called phenyl oxalate ester. Dibutyl phthalate, widely considered the more dangerous of the above components, is used to manufacture plastics, glues, nail polish, leather, printing inks, safety glass, dyes and is used as a solvent for perfume. Poison Control Comments None of these chemicals are deadly dangerous, according to The National Capital Poison Center The advice from poison control for ingestion of the so-called glowing toxic liquid chemical is much the same. Rinse your mouth out well, drink a little milk, and call poison control, which will again, stay in touch to make sure you're fine. Poison control encourages people to stay in touch often because different individuals can have various reactions to chemicals. The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Comments The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is considered one of the best children's hospitals in the country, possibly the world. The hospital's poison control center reports that, "dibutyl phthalate is not a poison; it is an irritant. The best treatment for any exposure to dibutyl phthalate is water." - realife11
glow sticks are very toxic so I suggest that you don't do that ? - Ash1232
Glow in the Dark Hair Gel
Glowing Goo using cheap, easy to get, ingredients
I love that you clarified what kind of pot...........I was going to go down to the rec shop and get the other kind....... ;)
How to Make Edible Glowing UV Reactive JELLO
Uhhmmm.. Does Glow Stick Smell??.. Cause I Think It Does.....
Just as a satefy precaution, I'd advise containing the microwaved glowsticks in plastic wrap, or some other protective casing, after it's microwaved that is... Preferably one that's as transparent as possible. So on the offchance a glowstick does decide to uh... Bust after it has been "nuked". Though, this method will be nullified if the glowstick is covered before it's microwaved... Best to do so after >.<
He microwaved it more than twice the recommended time (21 seconds), soo... I dunno what he was expecting :P
to hard to make
If you grind the larger waterproof granules, they will lose their waterproof properties & it will damage their effectiveness in glowing.
Make your glow sticks SUPER Bright
Join 2 million + to receive instant DIY inspiration in your inbox.
Download our apps!
© 2016 Autodesk, Inc.