Tell us about yourself!
I concur. Your local Best Buy can recycle them for you. But if you spend the extra money for a good power tool set, you will be much happier than buying HF junk. I was given 2 old Milwaukee 18v sets and they still outperform any budget tools. If you don't have a tool set, then I would recommend buying Rigid from Home Depot. If you register your power tools within 90 days of purchase, they will give you a lifetime warranty on it, including the batteries. I would have gone that route, but when I already have the older impact, 2 hammer drills, 2 hatchet sawzalls, 2 circular saws, and a cordless jobsite radio, its far more cost effective to upgrade the batteries than to replace the tools.
If you register your RIDGID power tools within 90 days, you will have a lifetime warranty on standard (non high capacity) batteries.
You can use an adafruit trinket pro and a piezo speaker for detecting voltage. It will draw about 15mA out of the box, but you can drop that down to 3mA by following this guide. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUnfVm3Ys20
That's what the glue was for. Theoretically, the concept is the same. This was just a little easier because I don't need to be as careful drilling it out.
Repairing Stripped Cabinet ...View Instructable »
It is certainly safer. But the acid is much faster and I think it does a better job. Each has it's pros and cons.
The best thing I have used to clean copper is muriatic acid, found near the paint thinner in your local hardware store. It only takes seconds to clean it with a q-tip, but you definitely need to wear thick gloves and be very careful. Also, when not even boric acid will clean copper wires, I have used it to remove black corrosion from copper wires before soldering. The stuff is wonderful, but very dangerous. I also recommend paying the premium for low odor formula because the stuff is disgusting if you breathe it in.
Personally, I would prefer a more discrete package and solar panels are a little bulky. If only they made decent rechargeable coin cells...replacing all of the devices in my house with NiCd rechargeables has already saved me about $100 and no more corrosion if they aren't taken out before storing electronics.
Instead of flipping the switch every day, you could consider a photo resistor and possibly a transistor, if needed, to let the sun activate and deactivate the power.
Has anyone tried the self fusing silicone tape? I also know you can get heat shrink tape, but its a little pricey.