With Instructables you can share what you make with the world, and tap into an ever-growing community of creative experts.
Tell us about yourself!
If the screw's in metal, penatrating oil and some hard tapping on the head can sometimes loosen it enough that one of the other methods can remove it.
The "Screwgrip" idea sounds very good, but I've never seen it for sale. What I use is valve lapping compound, and abrasive paste available at auto parts stores (or surely on-line) It's saved me several times. It's best used just as the head feels like it's stripping but before the head is totally ruined.
I've sometimes drilled the head off, then pulled the top piece off. Then vice grips can grab the protruding shaft and take the remains of the screw out.
I wrote an article about testing the capacity of AA primary cells, I've documented it here:http://www.buchanan1.net/battery_test.htmlIt uses an Arduino to measure the discharge characteristics of the cells. A similar method could be used on 18650 cells, for those who are interested in watt hours, a small change to the post-processing software could be made. I used a Linux machine to run the post-processing software on, with thw Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, you can install the Linux environemtn and perl, and run it under Windows.
BTW, I made both of the mallets in the picture in the same time frame, they are both doing well. The joiners mallet is made from black locust with an ash handle, the octagonal section mallet is soft pine, it is used to hammer in holdfasts, so it's kind of chopped up -as intended.
Whoever had the idea originally, hundreds or more years ago had a really good idea. I read about leg vises in a historical woodworking book more than 20 years ago before I decided tomake one, Those people had some great design concepts back then! They are very strong.
Nice! I built something almost like this back in the '90s and I still use it years later, I even moved it to another bench when I upgraded the bench. I don't have a photo on this computer, I'll try and find a picture, or take a new one later when I'm at home to post with a description.I think you'll get years of use out of this project.
I found a picture of it, a recent one, it's holding a prop musket my daughter and I are making for a cosplay outfit. She wasn't born when I made the vise!It is very similar, but quite different as well. As you can see, I used hardwood inserts on the jaw, and soft wood for the rest of this I took some real heat for this when I published it online, they said it would never last. I think almost 20 years proves that the wood choices were just fine!I hope that yours works for as long as mine has.
Great project! I built one very similar to this in the mid 1980s. I powered it from a filament transformer, normally used in vacuum tube equipment. A filament transformer might be hard to find now... We used it in an MET class I was taking to cut foam for lost foam metal casting. I gave it to the school (Purdue in Indianapolis) when we were done with it. I also made one for freehand cutting from a coping saw frame. I kept that one, but lost track of it over the years.
Accelerometer & Gyro Tutorial
How to Make a Three Axis CNC Machine (Cheaply and Easily)
Join 2 million + to receive instant DIY inspiration in your inbox.
© 2016 Autodesk, Inc.