Tell us about yourself!

Complete Your Profile
  • DIY Boost Converter || How to Step Up DC Voltage Efficiently

    Great instructable - one of the best I've seen.Unfortunately, watching the video, on both of my computers I got hit by a Trojan. Can you check it out, please? (Could be the instructable's site however...)Ta Muchly!

    View Instructable »
  • oululife commented on crispndry's instructable Easy amplifier2 years ago
    Easy amplifier

    Oh, sooo many years ago I built a pretty high-powered stereo amp. So long ago, that it used a Quad (UK company - the best!) pre-amp.It used PCB's from an Elektor design - FET's for output. About 100 watts RMS per channelMy God, did I put some grey matter and design into the power supply.It was linear, therefore quiet (but HOT!!!), but the most important thing was the grounding. It used "Star-earthing".See it explained at http://www.lh-electric.net/tutorials/gnd_loop.htmlBelieve me, I was horrified when one of the base-station designs I worked at, at Nokia suddenly developed an FCC-regulation-killing spike at 55MHz from the carrier.Turned out some University toe-rag had redesigned the (carefully designed) motherboard, and saved a bit of money by commoning RF (Radio Frequency) a...

    see more »

    Oh, sooo many years ago I built a pretty high-powered stereo amp. So long ago, that it used a Quad (UK company - the best!) pre-amp.It used PCB's from an Elektor design - FET's for output. About 100 watts RMS per channelMy God, did I put some grey matter and design into the power supply.It was linear, therefore quiet (but HOT!!!), but the most important thing was the grounding. It used "Star-earthing".See it explained at http://www.lh-electric.net/tutorials/gnd_loop.htmlBelieve me, I was horrified when one of the base-station designs I worked at, at Nokia suddenly developed an FCC-regulation-killing spike at 55MHz from the carrier.Turned out some University toe-rag had redesigned the (carefully designed) motherboard, and saved a bit of money by commoning RF (Radio Frequency) and digital grounds.Cost me all my Easter holiday - even sleeping on the lab. floor on Good Friday - to fix it.Cost us several hundred thousand dollars in lost production. That was in 1998.

    Oh, sooo many years ago I built a pretty high-powered stereo amp. So long ago, that it used a Quad (UK company - the best!) pre-amp.It used PCB's from an Elektor design - FET's for output. About 100 watts RMS per channelMy God, did I put some grey matter and design into the power supply.It was linear, therefore quiet (but HOT!!!), but the most important thing was the grounding. It used "Star-earthing".See it explained at http://www.lh-electric.net/tutorials/gnd_loop.htmlBelieve me, I was horrified when, 15 years later one of the base-station designs I worked at, at Nokia suddenly developed an FCC-regulation-killing spike at 55MHz from the carrier. Saw it on a Spectrum Analyser, immediately recognised it as the Digital Signal Processor's clock frequency.Turned out some Universi...

    see more »

    Oh, sooo many years ago I built a pretty high-powered stereo amp. So long ago, that it used a Quad (UK company - the best!) pre-amp.It used PCB's from an Elektor design - FET's for output. About 100 watts RMS per channelMy God, did I put some grey matter and design into the power supply.It was linear, therefore quiet (but HOT!!!), but the most important thing was the grounding. It used "Star-earthing".See it explained at http://www.lh-electric.net/tutorials/gnd_loop.htmlBelieve me, I was horrified when, 15 years later one of the base-station designs I worked at, at Nokia suddenly developed an FCC-regulation-killing spike at 55MHz from the carrier. Saw it on a Spectrum Analyser, immediately recognised it as the Digital Signal Processor's clock frequency.Turned out some University 'educated' toe-rag had redesigned the (carefully designed) motherboard, and tried to save a bit of money by commoning RF (Radio Frequency) and digital grounds.I had the benefit of skipping university, and thus actually learning to do stuff, rather than to be told. So I spotted the stupid mistake in a minute.Cost me all my Easter holiday - even sleeping on the lab. floor on Good Friday - to fix it.Cost us several hundred thousand dollars in lost production. That was in 1998.

    View Instructable »