Author Options:

Can I cut the end of a computer keyboard power cord and connect a USB cord to it? Answered

I just got into electronics and I really like LEDs. I started looking around the house for some, but I might just go buy brand new ones. Well, I still have my old computer and I took apart the keyboard for LEDs. Instead of trying to take the LEDs out of it, I decided to keep everything together. The power cord is connected to the other board thing (a motherboard or baseboard?) It is one of the kind that have the 6 long pieces that makes a circle-like shape. I want to know if I can make that end a USB.

I see that in this image this is something that I want to do. But everything from the keyboard is still connected. I hope I am explaining this clearly enough.


i've tried it before.... it doesn't work, you'll need an adapter with a built in chip

You can't because that old round plug (green or purple, can't remember which) isn't different to a usb, however, i have seen adaptors and you may be able to replicate one.

No, The old PS2 standard is not compatible with USB, but you can easily get dongles that convert it for you.

No. Sounds like an old socket, doesn't function like USB.