Author Options:

Can anyone identify this? Not pipe vice and not book binder. Answered


Kudos to you, an excellent find! I would never have come to the conclusion of a denture press no matter how long I looked at it :-p

I thought it was a vulcanizer clamp at first but when I looked at the images I found the denture press that looked exactly the same.

My dad used to have one of those - his grandfather was a dentist (and one of the first restorative dentists in England. I very vaguely remember visiting him when I was very small, and he was very old (80's, then) He did all his own dental lab work - stuff that dentists farm out to independent shops now. We had LOADS of dental gear when he closed up shop in the early 1970s


Could be an apple press or a million other things...

We used similar tools to seat bearings and their mounts.
On the threaded spindle should be an attachment to fit the bearing or tunbe to push in.
But most of the time we just used a flat plate for this to save time changing attachments.

Printing press for linocut blocks, needs a foot at the bottom of the threaded rod to prevent damage to the back of the wood block, which is pressed down onto an inked linocut placed on top of paper and wood backing.