224Views11Replies

Author Options:

Draw Blood with Neodymium Magnets. Answered

I was curious if anyone besides me has drawn blood while playing with Neodymium Magnets?  

Fortunately, it wasn't my blood..  On the down side, I'm no longer permitted  to play with powerful magnets when my Girlfriend Comes over.   She forgave me, but Electromagnetism is a Sore subject around here.

11 Replies

user
SteelLegJ (author)2014-03-08

i have a couple 2"x2"x1/2" neodymium magnets and they are scary to hold. i did have them snap together in my hands once, i then put them up for a few years :)

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
zaphodd42 (author)2014-02-27

'Ive had them snap together so hard they shatter and send shrapnel flying, but yes, I've blistered myself by getting my skin pinched in Neos.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
John_the_Builder (author)2014-02-24

I have a pacemaker. I wonder if a rare earth magnet would stick to my chest.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
gmoon (author)John_the_Builder2014-02-26

You are kidding, right?

My father-in-law has a pacemaker, and they warned him off all kinds of stuff--he's can't even use a plug-in electric razor. No way would I let a powerful magnetic field get anywhere near your implant. Even though it appears that alternating fields are the most dangerous (but you can create one by waving the magnet around).

On the plus side, he gave me his arc welder...

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
first4magnets (author)2014-02-25

Even small rare earth magnets can be surprisingly strong!

John_the_Builder, we would never advise putting magnets near a pacemaker as they can affect how they operate.

If you are interested super strong neodymium magnets, you might like to watch this safety video we put together featuring two magnets that each have an equivalent pulling force of 300kg...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t8yDnyOaQ8

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user

I'm only Joking.. Not about the pacemaker, Unfortuantely, that went in 3 years ago. I have no burning desire to test it's magnetic qualities. I'll have to check out your video, thanks.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
Toga_Dan (author)2014-02-23

those can be pretty dangerous to kids. Kids have swallowed 1, and later another. When the 2 magnets meet, they pich a fold of intestine. That can require surgery.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user

I avoid feeding them to My kids. They eat enough junk already ;-)

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
Goodhart (author)2014-02-24

I normally use a pen or pencil to draw blood......

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user

I take it you use a Red colored Pencil? To Draw Blood? Ha ha... Seriously, get yourself a couple 3/4 rare earth magnets, place your finger between them, then using the tip of your Pencil, push the magnet closer to your finger tip. You'll see some amazingly realistic blood drawn. No seriously, don't try it. It's painful. Kind of like hitting your finger with a hammer. Powerful magnets are about the most fun you can have with the drawers on.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
mpilchfamily (author)2014-02-23

If the magnets are large enough they can easily crush bone.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer